Sahel And Central Africa Map
The term sahel comes from the arab word sā ḥ il which means edge or coast.
Sahel and central africa map. Learn more about the sahel here. Bordered on the north by the mediterranean sea the west by the atlantic ocean south to the junction of the oceans atlantic and indian and east by the red sea and indian ocean. Sahel semiarid region of western and north central africa extending from senegal eastward to sudan. From the atlantic ocean to the red sea the sahel extends through.
The sahel part of africa includes from west to east parts of northern senegal southern mauritania central mali northern burkina faso the extreme south of algeria niger the extreme north of nigeria the extreme north of cameroon and central african republic central chad central and southern sudan the extreme north of south sudan eritrea and the extreme north of ethiopia. Map sahel africa maps africa from lat. The sahel region of africa is a 3 860 kilometre arc like land mass lying to the immediate south of the sahara desert and stretching east west across the breadth of the african continent. A geographically and climatically correct meaning for an area bordered to the north by the sahara desert and to the south by the savannahs and jungles of the gulf of guinea and central africa.
Within this perfect storm of actual and potential instability criminal networks increasingly overrun central sahel the fezzan in libya s south niger and the lake chad basin. Attacks on civilians and infrastructure and conflict between the state and non state armed groups have led to massive population displacement across burkina faso mali and niger. It forms a transitional zone between the arid sahara desert to the north and the belt of humid savannas to the south. Sahel is a transitional zone separating the sudanian savannah on the south to the saharan desert to the north.
To the south the radical islamist primarily nigerian boko haram insurgency is responsible for thousands of civilian deaths and more than a million displaced. State authority is weak in relatively stable niger. Map of africa with the sahel highlighted in orange. Sahel emergency rising armed conflict deteriorating security widespread poverty and the impact of climate change are posing a real threat to countries in the central sahel.
The area is located in the northern part of africa stretching from the red sea to the atlantic ocean covering a distance of 3 360 miles and an area of 1 178 850 square miles. Having a semi arid climate it stretches across the south central latitudes of northern africa between the atlantic ocean and the red sea. Africus is the third continent of the world by land area.
- Printable Time Zone Map With State Names
- Port Isaac Cornwall England Map
- Quang Tri Vietnam Map
- Porter County Indiana Township Map
- Purchase College Campus Map
- Power Outage Map Orlando Fl
- Puget Sound Power Outage Map
- Printable South America Map Coloring Page
- Printable Blank Map Of The World With Countries
- Position Of Philippines In World Map
- Printable Time Zone Map Usa
- Pre Historic World Map
- Printable High Resolution Printable Blank Map Of The World
- Printable Map Of Maine Towns
- Printable Map Of Italy With Cities And Towns
- Printable Ohio State Map Outline
- Print Map Of Usa States Printable
- Portland Oregon Weather Map
- Power Outage Map Massachusetts
- Printable Blank Map Of The World With Latitude And Longitude Lines